Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Long week.

It has been a busy week since I last posted. I have made a few boxes, and have gotten orders for more. We also finished Ruth's deer stand.



Here is one box...as hard as it is to paint beautiful wood, I really like how it looks.



Same thing with this one...the flash makes it much brighter than it actually is, this is a dark cherry colored box, it actually looks really good.



Here we have the traditional stained box, awaiting a second coat of polyurethane.



Using the biscuit jointer to assemble the red box you saw above.


Looking in at Ruth applying some paint to the black box.



Here we have Ruth's stand up in the air. This was done on Sunday while the weather was less crappy than Saturday. It went up really well, and is very sturdy...a great area for Ruth to harvest a deer.

3 comments:

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Hey Kevin, I was wondering how you cut your miters on those boxes so precise, perfect miters are always a headache for me. I'm assuming it was on a table saw, but do you have a miter sled or is there some other method you use?

Liz said...

Great boxes Kevin. And I like the look of the painted one you did. That deer stand should last for years - be really interested to see how many deer you guys get.

All the best with your wooodworking
Liz

Kevin said...

Hey Guys...thanks for the comments. As for the perfect miters...long story short. I do have a really nice miter sled, but I keep that set at 90 degrees. I cut all of that using the tilt on the blade. If you imagine, the edging for the boxes is actually standing on edge. This only works if the stock is shorter than the height of the blade. To get the angle of the blade right, I have a digital angle guage made by Wixey. Its magnetic, you set it on the table and zero it out, then stick it to the blade and adjust the angle exactly to where it needs to be. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the kind words.