Monday, January 5, 2009

Emergency job, and more table progress.

Well we were making more progress on the tables today, when all of a sudden the phone rang. It was my friend Matt with a major woodworking emergency. He needed a very complex project, I was not sure if I could do it but I said...no problem!!


Here is Matt with said project.....a five foot chunk of 2x4 with a 1 1/4" dado cut down the center. Emergency diverted! The look of relief in his face just makes what I do so worth while.



Anyway...back to the tables. Ruth is putting the stain on one of the finished tables. I love how the walnut plugs look against the oak.



Here are both tables and one of the four shelves that go along with them. The shelves fit inside the legs and hang on plastic hangers that fit into one of the three holes drilled so the shelf height can be adjusted.

Check back soon, after the poly goes on we will put the glass in and take some final shots.

2 comments:

Zachary and Jennifer said...

I was wondering if pocket screws are your preferred joining method or if it was purely an aesthetic choice since they are visible with the plugs on this project?

Kevin said...

I love my Kreg Jig....I will use it every time I can. It is a very strong joint on its own...I have never had one fail. When coupled with glue it is un-beatable, and the best part is, the screws are the clamp, no waiting for glue to dry. You get a glue/screw joint, and most of the time it even looks great.

There are a few tricks to get perfect joints without splitting,or one of the two boards moving out of alignment, but very easy to learn.